Friday, September 14, 2007

What a hobby


Meet Carlos Chavez.

Carlos was my partner for the past 4 days on the road. You learn a lot about a guy trapped in a truck, driving across the country. This guy has one of the most unique hobby's I have ever heard of. Memorizing genealogy, now I know you are saying "Doug many people do genealogy" but this guy does royal blood lines. He can sit down and write a family tree of complete ancient European blood lines. He showed me papers that had hundreds of names on them, from English to French to Italian to Flemmish, yada yada...all memorized. He then pulls out his latest task. Japanese blood lines from 1100 on. Those are not memorized yet but he's working on them. His dream was to be a history teacher then he realized he really doesn't like kids.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Not liking kids shouldn't deter him from teaching. The CPS is full of 'em, I tell ya, full of 'em (teachers like that, that is.) Say what you will about my teaching career. What I will say is that I always did truly like the kids. Well, most of 'em.

Steve said...

Oooh. I don't think I have enough brain cells for that hobby. At least not working ones (as opposed to those space-taking slackers that hold my ears apart).