Monday, January 14, 2008

Opera

Went with Kim to the Opera tonight. LaTraviata, Die Fledermaus, Faust and Das Rheingold from Wagner's Ring Cycle make up the four that I've seen and I have to say...I just don't get it!! Kim has purchased a half a season every year for 18 years now. She loves the pageantry, the music, the sets... More power to her I love to see her so passionate about the Lyric. Why don't I get it? I am a fan of all styles of music but I get lost in non melodic tunage. Now on to the fun stuff. I saw "frasier's" John Mahoney there tonight, pretty cool. A few years ago I was attending Faust and in the lobby, who should I see but Billy Corgan in the lobby and then I bumped into him later someplace else.
Kim's brother is a DJ in Texas and felt the experience was broadcast worthy.
My brush with greatness

*edit* Billy's last name was corrected, Thanks Chris.

6 comments:

Donna said...

I too don't get the whole opera thing. However, I do love me some good Mozart, especially "The Magic Flute." John gave me 2 tickets once on the condition he not be the user of the second ticket. So Paula came down for the evening. But still, like you, I don't get the whole thing.

Steve said...

So glad to hear that you're not gay.

I never questioned it, but it's good to know.

I wouldn't have looked.

Chris Thompson said...

I'm glad to hear other music lovers aren't into opera. Sometimes I think maybe I'll grow to appreciate it, but I'm starting to think (1) I should be plenty able to appreciate most forms of music by now, and (2) it doesn't matter if I can get into the opera! Perhaps there are some culture snobs that may hold this against me/us, but who really cares, right?

(Psst, Doug, it's Corgan.)

Doug said...

well dang young nephew, you are correct. nice catch!

Doug said...

and I've seen his stuff, I can call him whatever I want!

Chris Thompson said...

Haha! Yes, it is your blog, so call him what you want indeed...of course, people may not know who you're talking about...